Pan’s still at the ‘nearly done’ stage. I realised the hands were too big and made a whole new smaller one as a trial. But that didn’t work, as while it was then the right size for his arms, it was noticeably too small in proportion to his head. I think his elongated shape puts all the proportions a bit out of whack. After some mucking around, I’ve decided the best solution is to just slightly shorten the hands, but more importantly, make them narrower so that they don’t splay out, as the width more than the length makes them look too big. Which is fiddly and time-consuming, but still faster — I think — than making them again from scratch.
I’m now better at moulding fur, which has left me with some quite realistic patches on his legs, and some more abstract. I need to make a choice or find a happy medium.
Unable to find a nice rock, I went back to the rock made out of soft wax, gave it a more interesting shape, and pressed lumps of rough broken concrete (lots of that around) into it for texture. I think the effect works, but I’m afraid the rock is fighting with the figure, so I’m wondering about just making a little round or square platform under his hoof, as he’s going to be on a marble block or something like that anyway.
I’m spending a lot of time on this, but I’ve been learning as I go, so hopefully the next figure won’t take as long.